Wild Hog

Home Forums Hunting Wild Game Recipes Wild Hog

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      BFMHUNT
      Participant

Me and a neighbor headed down to camp Friday to cut some shooting lanes and make sure we are ready for the upcoming season. Had been seeing a bunch of hog lately on camera, so we decided to hunt Saturday morning and see if one may walk by. Got in the stand at first light and about 8:15AM I heard one grunt off in front of me and a heard of 12 started making their way toward me slowly. I got the scope on one, but they were still far out. Waited a few minutes and they kept coming closer. I picked out the biggest and scoped out about 65 yard shot broadside behind the front leg and fired. My first thought was I missed and I would need to be sight in the rifle, as the pig ran off quickly and I could not see an indication of a hit. However, when I got down and looked for blood, there was good blood right at the spot with a good trail leading where it ran. I tracked it about 60 yards and all of sudden the trail stopped near the road. Was looking all around the road with no luck. Went back to the last spot and I figured it out, there was blood on the front and side of the tree. When I looked on the opposite side, there was also blood and another trail leading back toward the stand. I think it hit the tree and U-turned. After that I was tracking about 10 yards, and looked up and there was the pig. Hit right where I aimed, so no need to sight in, it’s on! That was my first hog. I called my buddy and we ran to get the cooler and knives and cut the backstrap out and iced it down quickly. We were going to cook it that evening, but storms started rolling in so we packed up and left. I ended up trimming the fat on Sunday and through both on the smoker with an apple rub. Smoked it about 2 hours and got it up to 180 degrees internal. Was pretty tasty. I will be looking get a chance at another one in the near future. On a side note the processor won’t take any hogs during the summer, so maybe I can get one in the winter and have some sausage made.

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      BFMHUNT
      Participant

finished product

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      huntaholic

That’s really Cool ! I’m ready to get ONE

BIG Jim
      Participant

NICE PIG ! Been years since I Shot one of those. They are tasty

Outdoorsman
      Participant

I like it ! Free BBQ Do you have a lot of PIGS

BFMHUNT
      Participant

They are all over, I’ve had pictures of 40 at a time.

Outdoorsman
      Participant

WOW ! Well if the Deer Hunting is Slow you can always Pig Hunt, VERY COOL

Jack 3
      Participant

Great looking PIG! I’ve actually made my Own Sausage before with one I killed. Congratulations

deercooler
      Participant

Cool Hunt and a Nice PIG ! They do eat well.

Bravo
      Participant

Cool PIG ! I bet that ate good

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Share This