We are blessed…

Home Forums Lakes We are blessed…

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Northern Dancer
      Participant

We are blessed with numerous fresh bodies of water and yet we continue to desecrate them with
      human pollution. There was a time that I would dip my cup into the water in the middle of a lake and down refreshingly cold water to satisfy my thirst. Not anymore. At best I dip my Tilley hat into the drink to cool my head on a sun-drenched day. Now I use water filtration systems to assure myself of safe drinking water to avoid “Beaver Fever”.

Photo: ND A Moody Lake Huron

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Outdoorsman
      Participant

Very True ! From balloons in the Woods to plastic bottles everywhere I wish people would be more awhere of the trash they LEAVE behind.

huntaholic

Good Point, I get so tired of seeing trash on the Side of the Road Driving to my favorite Outdoors Spot. Everyone needs to be picking Up trash if you can.

travmorr99
      Participant

Always need to take Care of the Beautiful Places We have !

Northern Dancer
      Participant

One of the reasons I head for the interior is because I get away from “crowds and stuff”. It is now standard practice to clean up after – trash campers, [as I call them]. I’m into the LEAVE NO TRACE program [hope you are too] and delight in taking part in cleanups when I can. I’m not convinced that the general population has it straight yet when we can’t get people to put their cigarette butts into a container. Oh…ya…that reminds me of a funny story. Anyway – we do what we can right?

Photos by ND
      A Horse Shoe in a root.
      – there has to be a story around this because this is a canoe route site.
      Red Pine Lake
      – coming into the channel on a beautiful sunny morning.

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Bravo
      Participant

Some GREAT Advice, I’m always picking up As I call them left behinds at the lake or trout Streams. Nice pictures

Northern Dancer
      Participant

I mentioned in the previous post a story. So this is it… I’ve been acquainted with these giant sanitary containers for years and I used them frequently without any hassle. They sit there from season to season receiving donations from campers coming to the park from every corner of the globe. MOLOKS! Gigantic Garbage bins exclusive to this neck of the woods. They receive just about anything and everything – including your car keys should you be so stupid. I just didn’t drop my keys into the depths; no, I artistically threw them in along with my garbage bag. Staring blankly into a twenty-foot drop, eyes, and mouth wide open, belittling thoughts began to crash into my head, I was aghast, how could I have been so brainless? I flagged down the first Warden I saw and told him my predicament. “You aren’t the first one,” he said with a pleasant smile. “Let’s see what we can do.” A set of keys lying hopelessly on a heap of garbage twenty feet below is not an easy target to hook. We tried and tried to no avail and then the Warden said in frustration, “I have a better idea – I’ll be back in half an hour.” “Don’t go away!” Wh……at? I paced back and forth like an expectant father until over the distant hill I could see this humongous tank-like machine approaching. On board were the Ottawa Valley Waste Recovery Centre Team – the Molok Guys. The vehicle gasped and came to a halt. Mike jumped down from the cab and said “Hi!”. I shared my tale of idiocy as he unlocked a box on the side of the truck. “We’ll take care of it,” he said confidently. In a moment he had on an instrument vest and with nibble fingers manipulated this dinosaur looking claw. It moved silently as if it had a mind of its own. It stopped dead right over this steelhead fixed firmly onto the handles and slowly lifted a huge bag from its chambers. It gently rocked back and forth until Troy grabbed hold and released the mechanism that held the bottom together. Out spilled the garbage, the dirty water, AND my precious keys. I stooped down to pick them up when Mike said, “Don’t do that!” He picked them up with gloved hands, took them to another compartment of the truck and commercially sanitized them. As he handed them to me he said, “You have yourself a good day now.” No sooner had he done that Troy had the claw back in its place. Mike and Troy were gone as quickly as they had arrived. I stood there, very thankful that I could get on with the business of the day and have a good one at that. The first thing I did when I got home was to send a thank you note. Do you have any funny stories to tell?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Share This