OUTDOOR TITUALS…

Home Forums General Forum OUTDOOR TITUALS…

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      Northern Dancer
      Participant

Hello everyone – Peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

One of my outdoor rituals every year is to ceremoniously get my Baybee [canoe] ready for tripping. I first start by gently washing it down checking for scrapes, gouges, and bruises from the year before. I studiously check the thwarts, the yoke, the handles, gunnels, and the seat webbing to assure none has deteriorated. I check my logos and decals to make sure they are crisp and clear. I check the bow and the stern for damage. I remove any flakes or particles, wash it down again, and then give it three coats of polyurethane to give it that new canoe shine.

When this task is complete I check the canoe pack, the transporter, my life jackets, and paddles. Sometimes I’m tempted to purchase a new paddle and decorate it with my logo. Yep…I’m more than ready – I’m itching to go.

What outdoor rituals do you perform?

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Outdoorsman
      Participant

That’s a Interesting ritual right there, I don’t know what the Yoke is but you’re definitely the Conoe expert. My Summer ritual is Usually going down to the Hunting ground and making Sure my Deer Stands are all Safe and in good condition also checking my equipment and Supplies for the upcoming Season ! Always good to be prepared.

BIG Jim
      Participant

Moving Deer Stands is my Summer ritual, it’s always Great to get down to the Woods and find New areas to hunt and Dream of finding that Special place that will turn into a Spot that will produce BIG Bucks year after year. That’s the Dream and Ofcourse making Sure you have enough firewood for the Fall.

huntaholic

EVERY summer I cut firewood and move Deer Stands and Scout my property for New Opportunities and also fix any problems with the BUS. Plus it’s another excuse to get in the Woods.

Jack 3
      Participant

Camping trip is my Summer ritual although I haven’t been able to get a trip in this year. But hopefully I will be Out soon and enjoy the Great Outdoors and the piece and serenity of cooking with a Campfire, nothing like a Burger cooked on coals from a Fire. I’m looking forward to the Woods.

deercooler
      Participant

One of my favorite rituals is planting of my prized tomatoes to make Sure I have plenty of them for making my homemade Chili and Brunswick Deer Stew. If ain’t home grown it’s not going in my recipes, I just love cooking with fresh ingredients and then freeze Bags for when I head out to the Woods.

Northern Dancer
      Participant

“Deercooler” what’s that sweet aroma my nostrils are inhaling? How does one get the recipe, Brunswick Deer Stew? It sounds mighty good.

deercooler
      Participant

Morning Dancer
      My recipe calls for about a pound of ground Deer and of course home grown tomatoes cut up into small pieces you can do either a whole or half a yellow Onion 1/2 cup of Vinegar a little salt and about 2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce also 2 cans of whole kernel corn and one can of cream corn. Cook for about a hour on medium heat making Sure it’s boiling. On a Cold weather day it’s mighty Good !

Northern Dancer
      Participant

…sounds really delicious. All I have to do is find where I can get deer meat and I’m off to the races. I’m going to try this – I have an idea that I’m going to enjoy it. The name “Brunswick” is interesting. We have a Province called New Brunswick.

deercooler
      Participant

This is actually a Old recipe from my Mom she always called it Brunswick Stew and lots of BBQ restaurants call it the same, I just added the Deer part ! Let me know when you cook some I think you will like it.

deercooler
      Participant

I’ve got to try this recipe !

deercooler
      Participant

With Squirrel

Northern Dancer
      Participant

…I suppose you can use any kind of meat. But…then again – the outdoor flavour of squirrel, and deer and moose, etc. etc. makes it all the more tantalizing.

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Share This