Opening Bow Weekend in Texas

Home Forums Hunting Big Game Hunting Opening Bow Weekend in Texas

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      BFMHUNT
      Participant

Got down to the land Friday afternoon with the mule in tow. The mule had been in the shop to clean the throttle body and adjust the valve spring and is now running like a top. With the shipping container, I’m now able to keep it locked up at the land and have it down there for the season. Shot my bow about 10 times and it seemed to be pretty good and hitting the kill zone. My neighbor Tony came down for the weekend as well. Saturday morning we woke to 47 degree and still. I hunted my stand near the north line and about 8AM I saw 3 does near the back line (right in front of my Dad’s stand) and they walked the back line to the west toward my neighbor Mearl’s tract. No shot opportunity. About 10AM I saw two more at the same spot and they started waling toward me but to my right behind me. As I turned to watch them, I heard something to my left and looked up to see two more does coming into the shooting are that I didn’t know were there. They saw me turn to watch the other deer and bolted. No shot opportunity that morning. Saturday afternoon I hunted the same spot and had an armadillo come right up to my stand and root around for about 45 minutes. Never saw any deer that hunt. Tony hunted Matt’s stand near the big pond and didn’t see any deer both hunts. My neighbor David ended up shooting a doe that afternoon. Tony and I had bacon wrapped pork loan with potatoes and carrots and some field peas that we picked up from a little store near the land. It was delicious.

Sunday morning we woke to 52 degree weather and still. I hunted my stand again and about 10:00 Am saw 5-6 more does in the same spot (right at my Dad’s lockon stand near the back line. Too far for a shot and they walked off to the east towards the NE corner. Never had a shot opportunity. Tony didn’t feel good that morning with alergies and didn’t hunt. Overall a great start to the season. Hope the cool weather holds for next time.

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      BFMHUNT
      Participant

pictures

Attachments:
      BFMHUNT
      Participant

pictures 2

Attachments:
      BFMHUNT
      Participant

pictures 3

Attachments:
      Outdoorsman
      Participant

Sounds like a Great weekend ! Lots of Deer and good food, i bet you liked having power at the Bus.

Jack 3
      Participant

You had some Great weather and food, Sounds like you saw a bunch of Deer too ! Nothing like it. Good times 👍

Bravo
      Participant

WOW 47 degrees that’s Awesome! Where in Texas is your land, Sounds like a Great weekend for Sure. The Bucks will be coming soon for those Does running around.

huntaholic

Great time in the Woods! Only wish I could have been there with you. Next year for Sure and i know you’re enjoying the Power 😂

BFMHUNT
      Participant

Bravo, the land is northeast Texas, near a little town called Bogata, about a 2 hour drive from Dallas. We’ve got tall hardwoods (mainly oaks) and maybe 10% pine mixed in and two ponds.

Bravo
      Participant

That’s near Oklahoma right ? Sounds like a Great place and property!

BFMHUNT
      Participant

Our County is Red River which is just south of the Oklahoma line and the river.

Northern Dancer
      Participant

Your descriptions and pictures enable us to be right there with you and get a taste of the excitement. That’s a lot of activity in a short period of time. No sooner does it start when all of a sudden it’s over. Sounds like you got the season off to a good start “BFM” and it’s only early. Thank you for sharing – there will be reports of other adventures to come.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Share This