2016 Turkey

Home Forums Hunting Turkey Hunting 2016 Turkey

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Soybean
      Participant

Well, I didnt get to turkey hunt much this year and heard very little gobbling the few times I did go. I was fortunate to take this bird on opening day. My buddy and I didnt hear a peep all morning and got in our trucks to leave around 10 am or so. We spotted a group of birds when we were leaving that were coming out of our property and had just crossed the dirt road into the neighbors land. It was 3 long beards with a pile of hens. We turned around, booked it back to our parking spot and literally ran several hundred yards back down into our woods to try and get one of the gobblers to fire off. Long story short, I got one to gobble at me but they were several hundred yards away. I thought to myself, there is no way this bird will come back across the road to my calls. Well, to my surprise, he did and brought the other 2 with him. They left 4-5 hens, came approximately 300-400 yards, back across the dirt road, through a right of way with 4 foot tall grass and well down into our woods right to me. Within the last 75 yards all three of the birds were hammering at my sweet purrs and leaves scratching. I was shocked and would have never believed this would have happened like it did.

I busted the lead bird as soon as his head crossed my gun sights. I was not in a great spot with little cover and feared I would be busted. Im not even sure how big the other 2 birds were. In our hurry to get back to the spot, my buddy left his gun in the truck. We may have had a double had he not.

Right as I walked up and got my hands on the bird, the bottom fell out of the sky and we got a soaking wet (the reason he looks a little rough in the pic!)

An opening day I’ll never forget!

• This topic was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by Soybean.
      Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Soybean
      Participant

One more pic

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      huntaholic

You are one GREAT Turkey Hunter, I’ve seen you in action. I should have shot that Jake back a few years ago !

Outdoorsman
      Participant

Nice looking Bird! Congratulations.

D-Mo
      Participant

That’s a BEAUTIFUL Bird ! Interesting Hunt

jesusgodalmighty
      Participant

Great bird! I can’t wait to get out there this year. I was just reading this and getting antsy

• This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by huntaholic.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Share This