200 years ago !

Home Forums General Forum 200 years ago !

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      BIG Jim
      Participant

Do you ever walk around your Hunting Property or Camp Site even just Walking through the Woods on a trail, maybe paddle a Conoe across a lake and ask yourself what did Our ancestors do at this Very Spot ?. Kinda neat just thinking about what kind of life they Had, I know there’s several places where I have looked and thought someone must have lived here. Any comment’s on this Topic.

Outdoorsman
      Participant

Great post Jim ! I’ve Often wondered about this and what kind of life these people had. Probably one of the most prized things they Owned was a Musket, and also there Horse. Definitely a Different World.

huntaholic

Good Post, Jim I have thought about this for years and I have a Spring on my property that I am Sure the Indians used for a Water Source. See picture !

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Bravo
      Participant

Many times I have walked around the Woods and Wondering the Same, imagine when the Biggest problem that the Mountain Men had was killing something to eat or checking the next trap for a Pelt. Can you imagine what they must have Seen in their Lifetime.

Northern Dancer
      Participant

….at the end of the bug season, I was still wearing a bug vest, drinking anti-mosquito cocktails, and brushing off the black flies from my face mask. When I finally got into my tent it took me ten minutes to swat the creatures who hooked a ride on my jacket and came in with me. I thought to myself, “How did they ever manage?”

Jack 3
      Participant

I have romanced the Mountain Men for years but I do realize that this had to be a Tough life at best. In addition to the Weather and the Wild conditions not to mention the Indians who were hostile sometimes this had to be a Hard time.

Crane Man
      Participant

Interesting Topic ! Can you imagine the Freedom theses people had, No taxes of any kind. Just Saying

Northern Dancer
      Participant

Great post “BIG Jim” – on occasion I’ve experienced some of those adventurous feelings when I take a canoe into the interior far away from the modern city. But then again – I have the latest tent style, a water purification kit, packaged food the likes they had never seen, down-filled sleeping bags, mats and cots, and cameras and sophisticated bug repellant. Oh, wait a minute…that doesn’t qualify as “ancestorial camping” does it?

But then again, I have deliberately reduced equipment significantly on several trips and only took a backpack and relied on what I could use in the wilderness. Some people call it the survivalist mode. No – it’s plain simple ancestor or primitive camping techniques.

Thank you for sharing – keep it coming 🙂

BIG Jim
      Participant

Thanks everyone for Sharing, this has been an interesting Post !

huntaholic

Well Check this out Guys ! I have some reading Now.

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Northern Dancer
      Participant

…just a minute I’ll be right back.
      ……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….I’m back. Just checking to see if my copies were still on the shelf. I hope you enjoy the read “huntaholic”.

If anyone else out there has a good read let us know – I’m always open to suggestions.

huntaholic

Yes Sir ! I got these because of your recommendation, already started Company of adventures. Love it so far !

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by huntaholic.
      Northern Dancer
      Participant

…that’s good to hear “huntaholic”, everyone has their own tastes when it comes to reading and sometimes suggestions made are not really helpful.

deercooler
      Participant

Sounds like something good to check out !

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Share This